veraPDF’s initial development roadmap includes five milestones based on the PREFORMA project’s schedule for the development phase, which runs from October 2014 to December, 2016.
veraPDF Milestones explained
The PREFORMA project is divided into four sub-phases:
- First Prototyping phase: May 2015 – October 2015
- Redesign phase: November 2015 – February 2016
- Second Prototyping phase: March 2016 – December 2016
- Final Testing phase: “January 2017 – June 2017”
Milestones and Software Releases
Following the Post Redesign release, veraPDF software releases occur monthly, although each milestone gets a specific release. The milestones represent the very latest point by which a feature should be implemented.
30th June 2017
Having completed PREFORMA’s Phase 3 (Testing), version 1.0 of the shipping software will be released.
Release Candidate (RC) 1.0
20th December 2016
Ready for PREFORMA’s Phase 3 (Testing), the Release Candidate will include additional language support, and integration with:
PDF/A Validation Complete Release
15th July 2016
The fourth release will support validation of all PDF/A versions and levels. All core software features should be implemented.
Post Redesign Release
28th February 2016
The third formal release of veraPDF included Release Candidates of all PDF/A validation profiles.
PDF/A1-b Release Candidate
31st October 2015
The second formal software release included some useful functions:
- a release candidate PDF/A1-b validation;
- PDF features reporting; and
- a polished, cross-platform installer.
Prototype features included:
- metadata fixing & policy checking;
- model and parser support for PDF/A2 & PDF/A3;
- a browser based web GUI; and
- HTML5 reporting.
First Public Release
15th July 2015
The first public release was a prototype of the veraPDF validation library with few features.