veraPDF’s development roadmap is comprised of five milestones scheduled around the PREFORMA project’s schedule for the development phase, which comes to a close at the end of 2016.
veraPDF Milestones Explained
The development phase is divided into three sub-phases:
- First Prototyping phase: May 2015 – October 2015
- Redesign phase: November 2015 – February 2016
- Second Prototyping phase: March 2016 – December 2016
Consistent with this schedule the veraPDF developers have organized the project’s deliverables into five formal milestone releases:
- 15th Jul 2015 – First Public Release
- 31st Oct 2015 – PDF/A1-b Release Candidate
- 28th Feb 2016 – Post Redesign Release
- 15th Jul 2016 – PDF/A Validation Complete Release
- 29th Dec 2016 – Release Candidate 1.0
For successful solutions, a testing and acceptance phase is scheduled for the first half of 2017.
Milestones and Software Releases
Each milestone will be accompanied by a software release, but we’ll also be releasing software between milestones. The milestones represent the very latest point by which a feature should be implemented.
First Public Release
15th July 2015
The first public release is a prototype of the veraPDF validation library. This is a proof-of-concept release with very few features and the possibility of plenty of bugs. Expect:
- a prototype GUI application;
- an unfinished implementation of the generic validation model;
- incomplete PDF parsing;
- a small set of validation rules as atomic profiles; and
- prototype PDF feature and validation reporting.
Don’t expect any of the following:
- a smooth, cross-platform installation experience;
- useful or accurate PDF/A validation;
- policy checking & metadata fixing of any kind; or
- customizable reporting;
PDF/A1-b Release Candidate
31st October 2015
The second formal software release will perform some useful functions:
- a release candidate PDF/A1-b validation;
- PDF features reporting; and
- a polished, cross-platform installer.
Prototype features will include:
- metadata fixing & policy checking;
- model and parser support for PDF/A2 & PDF/A3;
- a browser based web GUI; and
- HTML5 reporting.
Post Redesign Release
28th February 2016
The third formal release of veraPDF will include Release Candidates of all PDF/A validation profiles. Specific features will depend upon the conclusions drawn from the redesign phase.
PDF/A Validation Complete Release
15th July 2016
The fourth release will support validation of all PDF/A versions and levels. All core software features should be implemented.
Release Candidate 1.0
20th December 2016
Ready for PREFORMA’s Phase 3 (Testing), the Release Candidate software will include additional language support, and integration with: