We worked with closely with both memory institutions and industry to gather their requirements for the PDF/A conformance checker.
OPF and DPC consulted with their members, and held a webinar to explain the aims of veraPDF and get feedback on the following points in the functional and technical specification.
- scope of PDF/A validation;
- policy requirements;
- use cases;
- integrations (e.g. with repository software).
- implementation technologies, validation/policy profile
- report formats, test framework, etc;
- review of existing test corpora;
- evaluation of PDFBox.
In parallel, the PDF Association’s Technical Working Group held regular meetings to:
- identify ambiguities in the PDF/A standards;
- form consensus at working group level to resolve ambiguity;
- create test files and documentation to support resolution;
- submit the above to the ISO committee for ratification;
The functional and technical design specifications were submitted to PREFORMA alongside a project plan proposal and community engagement plan for Phase 2 (prototyping).
The proposed software architecture was presented to the PREFORMA panel in March 2015.